Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Pumpkin Week!

I have officially dedicated this week to be... pumpkin week!  The weather is just right to cuddle up with a warm blanket, some spiced (or spiked!) cider, and a pumpkin treat.  The temperature is just right, I wear a cardigan to class and I don't wind up freezing or roasting!

Anyway, to start the week off, I'm featuring a recipe found via Pinterest (my current obsession)- pumpkin cookies with cream cheese icing.  



These cookies are soft and the icing has the perfect sweet and tangy balance to pair perfectly.  In a moment of ridiculousness, I decided to half the cookie recipe but make the full icing recipe.  This left me with enough icing to frost an entire wedding cake.  I do not recommend doing this.  Therefore, I will provide you with the halved recipe, which still makes a crazy amount of cookies.

Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Icing

Combine:
1/2 Cup Shortening
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
Add:
1 egg
Mix in:
1/2 can pumpkin (15 ounces)
Now add:
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
And then add:
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Now, bake @ 350 for about 10-12 minutes. Let cool & then ice using the following Cream Cheese icing.
Combine:
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
Gradually mix in: 
1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Blend until smooth. Store in the refrigerator after use.

I topped mine with cinnamon and nutmeg.  It added a little excitement.  :)
Original recipe: Click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment