Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Reading List


Tonight, while I await the call of my wonderful boyfriend, I thought I’d make a list of books I’d like to read in the near future.  Here’s the thing- books are difficult for me.  Don’t get me wrong, I love love love reading.  But, I tend to stick only to what I know.  Once I’ve read a book that I like, I’ll read it over and over again, rather than finding a new one to read.  Unless it has been recommended to me more than once, I generally won’t seek out a new book.  I especially have a hard time buying a book if I haven't read it and thoroughly enjoyed it beforehand.  So, this year, I’d like to branch out.  I want to be more adventurous when it comes to reading.  That is how this Reading List came about.  Here are some titles I’ve collected from a few valuable sources:

The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold (author of The Lovely Bones)

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Eating Animals by Jonathon Safran Foer

The Friday Night Knitting Club and Comfort Food by Kate Jacobs

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

Here On Earth by Alice Hoffman

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

The DaVinci Code, Angels and Demons, and The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova

A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick

I love reading books that have been turned into movies, normally because that means the books are really good (even better than the movies).  I’m hoping to find more that are of interest to me, but so far I have quite a few to read through.  In fact, I’m starting Dear John tonight!  I’m at home for the weekend, so I’m hoping to get a little bit of time to read, since I don’t get very much time while I’m at school.  We’ll see how that goes!

Now, I begin!!  <3 

2 comments:

  1. Tay... Neil Gaiman is one of my favourite authors. I haven't actually read Coraline yet, though. His other stuff that I love is Stardust and Neverwhere.

    ALSO, I would highly recommend you NOT waste your time reading the Dan Brown novels. Maybe read Davinci Code since it's kind of iconic of our times even though Angels & Demons is the best out of those three. The Lost Symbol (which I read 3 weeks ago) was TERRIBLE. It makes me mad that I wasted 4 days reading it. Blah.

    : ) In other news... I highly suggest the Time Traveller's Wife if you haven't read that one. It was the best fiction novel I read all last year.

    I love you. And your blog. : )
    Amie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your reading list; will have to read a few of the titles you have listed. I have read a couple of the Dan Brown novels. I was a member of a book club for a few years through the community library. That was a great way to meet new people and read different genres of novels; non-fiction and fiction.

    ReplyDelete